Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Stephanie Marquesano - Relaxing, a whole new experience

I was the only girl, make that the only person, in my entire law school with an afro - period.  It was not that attractive - seriously. Remember, this was a time when one of the only hair products was "No More Tangles" or some leave in conditioner by Wella.  It was time for me to figure out what to do with my hair.  The one thing I knew, it was too short and layered to make straight.  There would be no weight to hold it down (something every curly girl knows is a necessity).  It was time, again, to grow it out.  Except this time it was to get it long enough to potentially ruin it again.  This was not a great time socially to do this.  I had ended a relationship with my boyfriend, I was living in Manhattan in the law dorms, and my hair would be looking awful for quite some time.  I remember french braids, multi hair tie ponytails, and hats as attempts to make my hair somewhat presentable.  By year two of law school I was ready to research my next move.  Armed with information and my mom's credit card, I made my way to Bumble & Bumble (alone).  I remember sitting in the chair, and discussing with Glenn the perils of my past experiences.  He confidently assured me that I was no longer straightening my hair, but relaxing it.  I would still have my curly hair, it would just be looser and easier to manage.  Whatever he did, it worked.  There was minimal burning, hardly any stinging or smell, and my hair actually relaxed.  I let him cut bangs, which were extremely easy to blow straight, and I had a pretty cute hair style for what seemed to be the first time ever!  I stayed with Glenn through his move to Pipino Buccheri, my graduation from law school, my meeting my husband to be, getting married (in fact I still look at my wedding pictures and love my hair, Glenn was so nervous he literally almost passed out in the bridal room) and moving to the suburbs. When I got pregnant, I was afraid to put any relaxer in my hair, and, somehow in the chaos of new motherhood, I lost Glenn. I had very curly thick hair through that period, and it was always being pulled back.  When the fog cleared, my son was in kindergarten and my daughter was 3.  It was time for my next hair move...

No comments:

Post a Comment