Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Stephanie Marquesano - The Salon in the Mall, Disaster Strikes

Bad idea, bad choice, bad burns! So, at some point I got the wrong lady at Ollie's.  My mom had enough.  For some reason she thought it would be a good idea to go to that corner place in the Kings Plaza Mall.  You know, the place that you just drop into when you are shopping and somehow thinking you need a haircut.  Sure enough, it was also a weekend, and my friends were at the mall too, so everyone got to watch the disaster unfold.  The person straightening my hair (Taylor was her name) had no clue how to straighten hair.  She literally rubbed the stuff directly into my scalp, and then brushed it through my hair.  The pain was excruciating at first, but at some point my whole head went numb.  By the time she rinsed it out, the blisters were rising, and connecting with each other all over my scalp.  My mom almost had a heart attack.  I am not kidding, she was hysterical.  I remember her pacing around the house, and my dad begging her to calm down.  At the time, I didn't realize that what she was most afraid of was that my hair was going to fall out.  Thankfully, all I had time to focus on was the agony I was in.  My mom brought me to her hairdresser, and begged him to find a solution for the mess she had gotten me into.  I must have been 15 or 16, and twice a week, for something like 8 weeks, I literally had scalp treatments designed to heal, ultimately remove the scabs (I know it is gross), avoid infection, and keep my hair connected to my head.  Miraculously it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment